A new recipe for Eid 2021, Badam Phirni (Almond Phirni). A smooth sweet pudding, very similar to Kheer (basmati rice pudding) but with much fewer carbs and eaten cold.
I’ve made Badam Phirni as opposed to Phirni as it uses chopped or ground nuts rather than just ground rice, meaning it is lower in carbs and contains more protein and fat, perfect for the gestational diabetes diet.
Here I have made two different flavoured Badam Phirni: saffron infused and rosewater.
- 2 tbsp basmati rice rinsed and soaked in water
- 300 ml milk (whole, or unsweetened almond)
- 100 ml double cream (or an additional 100ml unsweetened almond milk)
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 70 grams erythritol sweetener (or xylitol)
- 100 grams ground almonds (or blanched, chopped almonds)
- 6 strands saffron (optional) plus extra for garnishing
- 1 tsp rosewater (optional)
- 1 tbsp almonds (or pistachios) chopped for garnishing
- 1 tbsp dried rose petals (optional)
- Rinse the basmati rice well, then cover in water and soak for at least 15 minutes to soften
- If using saffron, add the strands of saffron to a tsp of milk in a small bowl to soak
- Once the rice has softened, drain the water grind into a paste (add a drop of water if needed to help form a paste)
- Pour the milk (and cream if using) into a pan with the cardamom pods and heat on medium to high. When the milk starts bubbling, just before it comes to a boil, add the sweetener and ground almonds and stir to dissolve the sweetener
- Add the rice paste and stir continuously on medium-high heat, simmering to thicken. This may take 5-10 minutes. The Phirni should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (like custard)
- Lift the cardamom pods out of the Phirni
- Add the soaked saffron strands and/or rosewater if using, stir and then pour into bowls/ramekins and once cooled to room temperature, refrigerate
- Garnish with chopped nuts, saffron and dried rose petals before serving
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used