Eggs are a great choice for breakfast with gestational diabetes, but sometimes you want something that is a bit different and a sweet breakfast. If that’s the case then try out these banana pancakes!
Bananas are a higher carb fruit and so it’s important to use a greener banana which is less ripe and a small banana (or half a large banana) to keep the carb amounts lower
Adding additional fruit like a small amount of lower GI berries is possible but they do require extra pairing from a good yogurt and nuts or seeds
Remember, we are most insulin resistant in the morning and so it is this reason that makes breakfast the hardest meal of the day to achieve good stabilised blood glucose levels with.
If you cannot tolerate this particular recipe, try one of the lower carb pancake recipes instead.
Banana pancakes can be made in batches in advance, chilled and then reheated the morning you would like to eat them. This makes them a great choice for filling breakfasts when you’re in a hurry. They also make great breakfasts for little ones who are weaning.
- 1 small banana slightly green to yellow
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp butter or coconut oil for cooking
- Mash the banana with a fork
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk
- Add the mashed banana to the eggs and mix until blended
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and add the butter or coconut oil
- Drop the batter into the pan (2 tbsp per pancake)
- Fry for 1 minute, or until the bottom of the pancake has browned slightly
- Flip the pancake over (very gently as the mixture is fairly wet meaning the pancakes can break easily) and cook the other side
- Serve warm with full fat Greek yoghurt, a few tart/sharp berries, nuts, mixed seeds and add sweetener or agave nectar if you wish
*NUTRITIONAL INFO. IS ONLY A GUIDE. AMOUNTS SPECIFIED ARE FOR GENERAL BANANAS NOT SPECIFICALLY A SMALL OR GREENER BANANA. NUTRITIONAL INFO IS BASED ON THIS RECIPE MAKING 6 PANCAKES AND THE AMOUNTS PER PANCAKE
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used