This is a recipe for my low carb, no added sugar BBQ Sauce. Tany, sweet and smokey, great for making Hunters Chicken, for marinating meat or just for dipping!
Heinz No Added Sugar Tomato Ketchup has only 5.7g carbs per 100g (please note, this is the NO ADDED SUGAR tomato ketchup with the turquoise label, not the 50% reduced sugar & salt one with a light blue label) and is the ketchup I use for this Hunters Chicken low carb BBQ sauce recipe. You can of course use another brand of no added sugar or sugar free tomato ketchup, but compare the total carbs to the Heinz No Added Sugar one to check it is not too high in carbs.
In this recipe I also use liquid smoke. It’s completely optional and can be made without, however if you have liquid smoke or can get some it will really make this low carb BBQ sauce next level! The brand of liquid smoke I use is Colgin and a little goes a long way!
If you prefer your BBQ sauce to have a kick, then you can add Franks Hot Sauce or chilli into it too.
- 200 grams Heinz No Added Sugar Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt (or garlic granules/powder & salt)
- ½ tsp onion granules
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 tbsp Sukrin gold (brown sweetener) (or sweetener - optional to taste)
- water as needed
- Add tomato ketchup, Worcester sauce, vinegar, smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion granules and liquid smoke to a bowl and stir really well
- Taste a small amount of the BBQ sauce and add sweetener to taste. Sukrin gold is a brown sweetener which adds a caramelised taste, however other sweeteners will not add this and will only sweeten the sauce, so test and see then add sweetener to your liking (Note: If using a granulated sweetener which is granulated in crystals like sugar, it is best to wait 5-10 minutes then taste to ensure the granules have dissolved)
- Add water a tbsp at a time as needed to make the BBQ sauce to a consistency where it is pourable but thick enough to stick and coat meat or anything for dipping
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used