Béchamel sauce is a savoury white sauce used in many recipes traditionally made from a roux (plain flour and butter) and milk. I’ve made a delicious thick and creamy low-carb Béchamel sauce without any added flour, meaning it is both low-carb and gluten free.
The key ingredient to enhance the flavour in this dish is bay leaves. If you have them, fresh bay leaves work the best, but dried bay leaves will work if you don’t have any bay trees at home.
Low Carb Béchamel Sauce
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 25 grams mozzarella grated
- 2 large bay leaves
- ¼ tsp salt and ground black pepper
- Add the double cream to a saucepan on medium-high heat, add a tsp of dijon mustard and whisk into the cream
- Bring the cream to a simmer, add the grated mozzarella and stir until melted into the cream
- Season, stir and add the bay leaves. Gently simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavour to infuse, then set aside to cool and thicken