If you struggle to tolerate potatoes, or even higher carb root vegetable alternatives such as carrot & swede mash, then you need to try cauliflower mash.
Thick creamy mash but without the carbs! Perfect for topping pies, eating with sausages, or gravy based dishes like stews.
Tweak the flavours to your preferences, adding butter and cream then cheese, herbs or spices to your likening. This mash works great with added chopped spring onions, cheeses, paprika and chillies.
If you like this recipe but would like to try another mashed potato alternative, why not try my celeriac mash?
- 2 medium whole cauliflower green leaves removed (or frozen cauliflower florets)
- 2 whole cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling (or butter)
- 1 good pinch salt & ground black pepper
- Roughly chop the cauliflower into equal sized pieces
- In a saucepan steam the cauliflower and whole garlic cloves with just a few tablespoons of water, lid on, for 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Use a knife to check
- Remove the pan from the heat, drain any excess liquid and add the olive oil and mustard. Blend or mash until creamy and smooth. If it’s too sloppy or wet allow the mash to evaporate on a low heat. Season to taste
- Add additional flavours, herbs and spices to taste
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used