Delicious Coronation chicken but without any high carb ingredients such as dried fruits or mango chutney. You honestly will not miss the fruit in this Coronation chicken, as it still has the lovely mild curry flavour, the crunch and sweet zing coming from lime juice!
Perfect for topping jacket potato, crackers, Scottish oatcakes, celery sticks, in a sandwich, or as part of a salad.
This recipe only suggests flaked almonds as a garnish. If you do not like or cannot eat nuts then please feel free to omit them, as the recipe itself is nut free.
- 100 grams cooked chicken pieces
- 1 medium celery stick finely chopped
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise full fat
- ¼ tsp curry powder (mild, medium, or hot to your taste)
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 good pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 good pinch paprika
- 1 good pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ whole lime juice only
- ½ whole red chilli (optional – only add if you'd like a spicy kick to your Coronation chicken) finely chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds (optional)
- Chop or shred chicken into small bitesize pieces
- Add the mayonnaise, spices and finely chopped celery and stir well to combine everything
- Squeeze in the juice of half a fresh lime, stir well, taste and then season to your liking
- Add more mayonnaise, spices and lime juice to your liking
- OPTIONAL STEP: also add fresh chopped red chilli if you would like a punchy kick!
- OPTIONAL STEP: toast almond flakes in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes on medium heat, flipping to heat both sides until golden, then sprinkle over the Coronation chicken