This creamy chicken pie is comfort food at it’s best! Chicken, bacon (or ham), mushrooms and leeks cooked in a super creamy sauce and topped with crisp buttery filo pastry… mmmmmmm!
You can of course swap the chicken for Quorn pieces if you’d like to make this pie vegetarian or omit the bacon/ham if you don’t eat pork.
The chicken, bacon/ham, double cream, butter and sesame seeds all help to pair the carbs found in the small amount of filo pastry and any additional starchy carbs added such as a couple of small skin on new potatoes.
If you want to make this pie vegetarian then just swap the chicken for Quorn fillets and omit the bacon.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil or butter)
- 650 grams skinless chicken breasts or skinless boneless chicken thighs diced
- 150 grams unsmoked streaky bacon (or ham pieces) sliced into small strips
- 100 grams closed cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 large leek finely sliced
- 250 ml hot chicken stock (or vegetable stock) I use 1 stock pot in 250ml of boiling water
- 2 tbsp white wine (optional)
- 1 tsp French Dijon mustard (or wholegrain mustard)
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tsp tarragon (fresh chopped or dried)
- 1 tsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- 2 sheets Filo pastry
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 190°c (fan)
- Heat the olive oil on a medium - high heat in a large pan. Once hot, add the chicken pieces, cooking until slightly golden at the edges, then set aside
- Add the bacon pieces, cook through, then set aside with the chicken pieces
- If you prefer a 'brighter/cleaner' looking creamy sauce then you should get a clean pan, but if you want the BEST flavour, use the same pan used for the cooking of the chicken and bacon. Heat on a medium heat, pour in 2 tbsp of wine to de-glaze the pan by mixing and scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the cooking juices. Then add the leeks and sliced mushrooms, a knob of butter and cook through for a couple of minutes
- Pour in the hot chicken stock, stir and then turn up the heat to get the pan simmering (bubbling) well
- Pour in the cream, stir and continue to heat on a high simmer
- Add the tsp of mustard, tarragon and thyme, stir to combine then add the cooked chicken and bacon pieces back into the pan. Stir well to coat all the pieces in the sauce and continue to simmer until the sauce reaches your desired consistency (the longer you simmer, the more the sauce will reduce and the flavour will intensify)
- Pour the chicken filling into an oven proof dish, then cover the filling with 2 sheets of filo pastry (one at a time) , scrunching slightly to create a crinkled pie top. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then place the pie in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the filo pastry is golden
- Scatter torn fresh thyme on top of the pie and serve with green vegetables and a couple of small new potatoes with the skins on