This creamy garlic chilli prawns dish is such a simple, quick and tasty recipe to make. Lashings of thick sauce made with double cream, flavoured with garlic, red chilli, parmesan and fresh parsley. Juicy plump prawns, spinach and bursts of sweet cherry tomatoes.
To make this dish more economical I used a mixture of small cold water prawns and a small pack of larger prawns. Other cooked shellfish such as mussels, squid and chopped seafood sticks would also work well in this dish.
This sauce also works well with chicken instead of prawns.
I only use one red chilli in this dish which means it is very mild. If you like a more spicy kick, then increase the number of chillies to your liking!
Creamy garlic chilli prawns
- 60 grams wholewheat spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 350 grams prawns raw or cooked
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium red chilli finely chopped
- 120 ml white wine or vegetable stock
- 300 ml double cream
- 40 grams fresh parmesan grated
- 100 grams cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- a good pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Put the wholewheat spaghetti in a pan of water with a pinch of salt and cook according to pack instructions until al dente
- Meanwhile, if using raw prawns, heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat, add the prawns, season with some salt & pepper and cook for 1-2 mins on each side, until just cooked through and pink. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Add a drop more olive oil, then add the minced garlic and chopped chilli and sauté until fragrant
- Pour in the wine or stock and increase the heat to a fast simmer to reduce, whilst scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the flavours, then add the knob of butter
- Reduce the heat to medium, pour in the double cream and stir through
- Add the grated parmesan, stirring until melted, then season with more salt & pepper to taste
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes and spinach, then gently stir until the spinach wilts
- Drain the cooked spaghetti, add into the sauce and stir to evenely coat
- Add the cooked prawns and freshly chopped parsley and gently stir through
- Serve with a garnish of parsley and slices of red chilli