Fresh, tasty, REAL French Mayonnaise. This is an absolute favourite of mine and takes me back to being a teenager on holiday in France with my best friend and her family. It was back in the 90s when we would go camping in France for 2 weeks every summer and although you can’t beat the fresh baguettes and croissants for breakfast, the French Mayonnaise served with French Fries was an all-time favourite treat in the evenings.
French Mayonnaise is flavoured with mustard and lemon, giving it a slightly darker colour and much more flavour. What’s even better is that it is so simple to make with just a couple of ingredients.
This recipe uses raw egg yolk. Raw eggs can safely be eaten in pregnancy if British Lion-stamped eggs are used.
- whisk hand or electric
- 125 ml olive oil
- 1 medium egg yolk
- ½ medium lemon juice only
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- a good pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Add an egg yolk, lemon juice and Dijon mustard to a bowl and whisk to emulsify
- Very slowly drizzle a fine stream of olive oil into the bowl whilst constantky whisking. Take your time and just whisk, whisk, whisk!
- Continue whisking to thicken to your liking
- Season to taste and enjoy! This is the perfect pairing tool!