Sweet french toast or ‘eggy bread’ which is crisp on the outside and soft in the middle can be a delicious breakfast or brunch with gestational diabetes. However the key here is the type of bread being used!
Bread can be particularly difficult for many to tolerate as it is often eaten in the morning for breakfast where we are naturally more insulin resistant, or alongside other carbs at lunchtime such as a sandwich with crisps, fruit and yogurt.
Whilst many are advised to eat wholemeal bread as a better alternative to white, we have found that for many mothers, this is just not enough and will not be tolerated well. A low carbohydrate bread that has high protein and high in natural fat (from seeds and/or soya) makes for a much better choice but should still be paired with proteins and fats to help make it tolerable.
This french toast recipe is paired with the ingredients the bread is soaked in, but it is also beneficial to add a side of full fat Greek yogurt, or coconut, or soya yogurt and some nuts and seeds for extra pairing.
Choosing a good GD low carb, high protein bread is very important. My number 1 recommended bread is LivLife Super Seeded bread which is currently only available to purchase at Waitrose and on Ocado in a 500g (smaller sized) loaf. This bread freezes well, tastes great and mean the difference between being able to eat bread or toast on a GD diet or having to eliminate it or need higher doses of insulin.
- 2 slices LivLife Super Seeded Bread
- 2 medium eggs lightly whisked
- 60 ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp butter
- ½ tsp olive oil
- xylitol or erythritol sweetener (optional) to your liking
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg until combined
- Lay the Livlife bread in a dish and pour over the mixture – allow to sit in the mix for 2 mins, then turn over to sit for another 2 mins
- Add the olive oil & butter to a hot pan. Once the butter is bubbling, add the soaked bread and allow to cook until golden, then flip to cook on the other side
- Mine is served with full fat Greek yog, xylitol, blueberries & seeds
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used