GD friendly pizza (yes, GD friendly!)
Did you know you could have GD friendly pizza? This low carb, high protein, high fat pizza won’t spike your blood sugar levels like a regular pizza might and it tastes just as good as any other thin crust pizza.
No messing around making your own low carb base, this GD friendly pizza is home-made in a matter of minutes using a tortilla wrap. Choose what toppings to add and it cooks in less than 10 minutes! Just as quick as popping a ready made pizza in the oven.
What’s better still, you can eat the whole thing if you want due to it being heavily paired with great toppings.
Another option is to use a green pesto or red pesto for the base sauce, instead of tomato if you prefer something different and if you find you struggle with tolerating tomatoes.
If you want to make this pizza vegetarian then pack with lots of lower carb veggies, cheeses and toppings, if you want to make it vegan, then try using a vegan cheese alternative such as Violife.
Picking a better tortilla wrap
Tortilla wraps can vary vastly in nutritional value. Some can be much higher in carbs and many are made with refined white flour which many GD mothers may find more difficult to tolerate.
In this table below I have compared many of main brand larger tortilla wraps so you can find ones which are lower in carbs and higher in protein and fat. Please note the nutritional information shared below is per wrap and wrap sizes can vary. I have only compared larger sized wraps, not mini versions:
This is not really much of a ‘recipe’ just a few basic instructions on how to make it. If you have kids they’ll love helping to make their own pizzas too. These GD friendly pizzas or ‘wrap pizzas’ are one of my boys favourite things to make and something we’ve been making for years!
- 1 whole soft tortilla wrap
- 2 tbsp tomato purée or pesto
- 50 grams mozzarella full fat, torn into pieces or grated
- 50 grams cheddar full fat grated
- 50 grams soft goats cheese full fat, cut into slices
- 3 whole sundried tomatoes chopped
- ¼ whole red onion sliced
- 6 whole anchovies anchovy fillets in oil
- 25 grams olives
- 1 handful rocket
- 1 drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200°c (fan assisted)
- Spread the tomato purée or pesto thinly over the tortilla wrap using the back of a spoon, ensuring you have a good spread across the whole wrap, leave an edge if you want to create a 'crust' edge
- Add all your toppings apart from the grated cheddar*Avoid building the middle of your pizza up too heavy or you will end up with a soggy pizza!
- Cover your toppings with grated cheddar. You do not need to weigh out the cheddar used, just make sure there is enough to cover your pizza well
- Place the pizza in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling
- Sprinkle with rocket and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or serve with a green side salad and coleslaw
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used