This green smoothie is light, refreshing and delicious. Spinach hidden by fresh kiwi, lime, avocado and coconut give this green goodness smoothie a lovely light fresh kick to start your day!
These type of smoothies can be particularly helpful if you are struggling with morning sickness or hyperemesis gravidarum (severe sickness in pregnancy).
Smoothies can be extremely difficult to tolerate. This is because whatever ingredients are used are blitzed down and the body is able to process them much faster
Many smoothies contain high fructose fruits (such as banana, mango, pineapple etc.) which need to be avoided, even more so when blitzed or blended and therefore only lower GI fruit should be used in small amounts with plenty of fats and protein to help pair them.
In this smoothie, avocado, coconut milk and cream and milled flaxseed/linseed all add natural fats and protein. The spinach and flaxseed also add additional fibre which also encourage better blood glucose levels.
Many smoothie recipes also contain protein powder supplements. It is completely up to you is you wish to add protein powder into your smoothies. Sugar free protein powders will help to achieve lower blood glucose levels, however evidence based research suggests there may be links with growth problems for the fetus when supplementing a diet with protein supplements during pregnancy. As the GD UK diet is already high in natural sources of protein, I advise sticking to natural forms of protein found in real foods which also contain other macro and micro nutrients.
If you struggle to eat enough protein within your normal GD diet, then protein powder supplementation may be beneficial for you. This should be discussed with your health care professionals and diabetes specialists.
- 100 grams baby spinach fresh or frozen partially defrosted
- 1 whole kiwi peeled and chopped
- ½ whole ripe avocado pitted and diced
- 200 ml tinned coconut milk (or almond, soya or lactofree milk)
- ½ whole lime the juice of
- 1 tbsp flaxseed milled or ground
- ice cubes to the consistency liked
- sugar free syrup OPTIONAL to taste
- Combine spinach, kiwi, avocado, coconut milk and some cream from the top of the tin, lime and milled flaxseed in a blender
- Add desired amount of ice cubes and blitz to create a texture and consistency you like
- Add sugar free syrup or sweetener to sweeten to your taste