Sugar free, lower carb hot cross buns
This recipe has been adpated from the sugar free hot cross bun recipe shown at Ocado.com www.ocado.com/webshop/recipe/sugar-free-hot-cross-buns/58422
Whilst sugar free it is not carb free and so it may still be tricky for some to tolerate
- 310 ml whole milk warmed, (or almond, soya or lactofree milk)
- 16 grams dried yeast
- 60 grams xylitol or erythritol sweetener
- 600 grams wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground all spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 60 grams butter
- 125 grams sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 50 grams self raising flour
- 1 tbsp xylitol or erythritol sweetener for glazing
- Whisk the milk, Xylitol and yeast in a bowl until combined and leave to cool. Sift plain flour, cinnamon, all spice and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter using your fingertips.
- Stir in the sultanas, eggs and yeast mixture. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5 minute. Put the dough in large greased bowl and cover. Leave it in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Punch down and knead the dough until smooth. Shape into 12 balls. Put into 30cm x 20cm greased baking tray and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine self-raising flour and 60ml of water. Pipe crosses onto the buns. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Make glaze by placing 2 tbsps of water and Xylitol into a small saucepan and heating over a low heat until the Xylitol has dissolved. Brush glaze over the warm hot cross buns.
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used