So quick and easy to make and guaranteed not to spike your blood glucose levels because it SO low carb, this zingy lemon mousse is a wonderful refreshing treat!
Because this recipe is so high in natural fats, it can be eaten straight after meals as a dessert without impacting blood glucose levels. It will in fact, help to pair the meal that has been eaten, so can be used as a pairing tool for other carbs!
If you would like you could also garnish your lemon mousse with slices of lemon, lemon zest, or some of my sugar free lemon curd! I have also added a small amount of digestive biscuit crumb on top of some of mine to add a bit of crunch, and crushed nuts will work as well.
- 1 small lemon (juice & zest)
- 200 ml double cream
- sweetener (optional to taste)
- Pour the cream into a bowl and whip until it is the consistency you like. This is much easier and faster with an electric whisk. The cream will all of a sudden change from liquid, thickening until it is a stiff cream (be careful not to over-whip the cream or it will split into lumps – stop when it is a nice thick consistency)
- Add in the juice and zest of a lemon (reserving some zest for garnishing if you wish) and stir through. Taste and add sweetener to your liking
- Decant the mousse into 2 serving ramekins/bowls/glasses and garnish with lemon zest, lemon slices, crushed nuts, a small amount of digestive biscuit crumb, or some sugar free lemon curd
- The mousse can be eaten straight away, or will set even firmer if refrigerated