This low carb hot chocolate is a must as a GD friendly ‘snack’. Rich and chocolatey without any hidden nasties, the perfect treat which is like a hug in a mug!
The key to this hot chocolate is using a good quality COCOA, as opposed to a drinking chocolate. My favourite is Green & Black’s Organic COCOA (not their drinking chocolate). Paired with almond milk and a spray cream (or you can use a whipped plant based cream) which contains no added sugars, this makes for a MUCH lower carb hot chocolate compared to a drinking chocolate like Highlights or Options hot chocolate.
If you need extra sweetness, opt for a natural sweetener such xylitol or erythritol which will not raise blood glucose levels, or leave a bitter aftertaste.
Is you do not follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, you could also and add a couple of chopped up sugar free marshmallows such as these Free’ist marshmallows.
- 1 heaped tsp Green & Black's Cocoa
- 200 ml whole milk full fat, or gold top (or unsweetened almond, coconut, hazelnut, soya, or hemp seed milk)
- 2 whole Free'ist marshmallows chopped (optional)
- plenty M&S UHT Real Cream (squirty cream) (optional)
- xylitol or erythritol sweetener (optional) to taste
- Mix a heaped teaspoon of cocoa with some cold milk to form a smooth paste
- Heat the milk in a pan or microwave to a simmer, but remove from the heat before it boils
- Pour the hot milk into the chocolate paste and mix well
- Taste and add sweetener as desired
- Top with plenty of M&S spray cream, Anchor EXTRA THICK spray cream, or whipped cream as desired
- Add the chopped marshmallow pieces
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used