For many, macaroni cheese is the ultimate comfort food. I often add things to my macaroni cheese, but I wanted to share a simple cheesy macaroni cheese, suitable for vegetarians and one that could still be enjoyed on a GD diet.
Macaroni is a high-carb food, so it means the rest of the ingredients used need to be high in fat and protein to help reduce a spike in levels from the macaroni.
Usually, I make my pasta dishes with either wholewheat pasta or wheat pasta alternatives (chickpea, bean, or lentil pasta) which tend to be lower carb, higher in protein, or at least release their glucose more slowly than white pasta.
I struggled to source wholewheat macaroni or alternatives and so this means that you too would probably struggle to source this too. Therefore I have used normal white macaroni pasta in this macaroni cheese recipe, but have heavily paired it.
If you have any concerns about using white pasta in this dish then please feel free to swap the macaroni for wholewheat pasta or a pasta alternative.
This dish is VERY high in fat and so I don’t recommend this as a regular dish, but it is lovely as a comfort food hug in a bowl when you need it, served with a good-sized green salad or leafy green vegetables. So here it is, my Ultimate Macaroni Cheese!
- 200 grams macaroni wholewheat pasta, or pasta substitute
- 300 ml double cream
- 125 grams mozzarella grated or torn, or mozzarella pearls
- 250 grams cheddar extra mature, grated
- a good pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder or Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Cook the macaroni in water according to the pack instructions, then drain and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (fan)
- Pour the double cream into a saucepan, add the mustard powder and smoked paprika, stir well and heat on high until bubbling
- Add the mozzarella, strirring until it has melted
- Add most of the grated cheddar (reserving enough to top the macaroni cheese with) and continue stirring until meltedNOTE: This should create a thick cheese sauce that stretches when scooped up
- Add the cooked macaroni/pasta and stir to fully coat
- Pour the macaroni cheese into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbling
- Serve with a big green salad or green leafy vegetables as this will increase the fibre in the dish and helps with post-meal spikes in blood glucose levels