This Mock Mulled Wine really isn’t a recipe at all, it is just a recommendation of how to make that wonderful Christmas spiced mulled wine taste with blackcurrant, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, but without the alcohol and sugar.
Both alcohol and sugar affect blood glucose levels and so this gives pregnant people with diabetes another drink option that tastes like mulled wine but without the worry.
Both Vimto and Ribena make seasonal diluting squash which has no added sugar and both are spiced to taste like mulled wine (without the alcohol). I prefer the Vimto which has a much stronger cinnamon flavour, however, the Ribena one is also lovely too. Both the Vimto and Ribena are available throughout winter to purchase in most larger supermarkets.
The key to this diluting juice is to make it with HOT water and if you really want to give your mock mulled wine a bit of added freshness, just add slices of orange or clementine, a grate of nutmeg, a couple of cloves and a cinnamon stick.
Mock Mulled Wine
- 250 ml hot water
- no added sugar Vimto Winter Warmer or Ribena Winter Spice to your taste (or no added sugar blackcurrant)
- 1 slice orange or clementine
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 grating nutmeg
- 3 whole cloves
- add optional flavourings (slice of orange/clementine, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cloves) to a heatproof glass or mug
- pour over hot water from a recently boiled kettle
- add Vimto or Ribena to your taste and stir. Drink whilst warm!