Mackinley’s Scottish Oatcakes can be a great snack with gestational diabetes, especially with butter, cheese, peanut butter, or butter and my chia seed jam.
My eldest son, Mackinley had a school project to make something using a traditional Scottish ingredient and so he decided to use Scottish rolled oats. He agreed he would make them, then I would photograph and share the recipe with you all!
We divided the dough into 2 batches to make half of them plain & half cheesy.
Mackinley’s Scottish Oatcakes are so simple to make, require very little ingredients which you can source really easily and at little cost. So give them a go ladies!
You can use the rolled oats as they are, but the texture of the oatcakes will be more crunchy. We started by grinding our oats down in a food processor to give a finer texture
For the Scottish Oatcakes
- 220 grams Scottish rolled oats (normal porridge oats NOT instant oats)
- 20 grams butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 100 ml hot water (recently boiled but slightly cooled water)
For Sweet Scottish Oatcakes
- 4 tbsp xylitol granulated sweetener or erythritol
For Savoury Scottish Oatcakes
- 100 grams finely grated cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 170°c (fan assisted)
- (Optional) Blitz the oats to a finer texture in a food processor
- Add the oats & salt into a bowl
- Add EITHER sweetener OR cheese & mix through
- Melt the butter & pour into the oats
- Pour in a splash of water, then mix with your hands. Keep repeating until all the water has been added to form a dough ball. (The dough should be fairly dry, but moist enough to form a dough which can be rolled out. Add a splash more hot water if you feel the dough is too dry to be rolled)
- Roll out the dough on a piece of grease-proof parchment paper as thin as possible, approx 3mm thick
- Use a cutter or upside down glass to cut out the oatcakes (we made 24 which were approximately 6cm diameter)
- Place the oatcakes on a lined baking tray & bake for 15-20 mins. They should be slightly golden at the edges, but should not change in colour too much
- Remove from the oven, enjoy hot or cold paired with your favourite high fat & high protein toppings!