To serve with my fakeaway Chinese Chicken Curry, I love to make a Special Fried Cauliflower Rice or Egg Fried Cauliflower Rice.
I must admit, that with fresh cauliflowers shrinking in size recently (or so it seems where I am) and the price remaining the same for these tiny palm sized whole cauliflowers, I often buy frozen cauliflower rice as I find it works out economical and I have cauliflower rice to hand when needed.
You can also purchase fresh cauliflower rice, but I find this can be quite expensive if you are feeding a few people.
It’s completely up to you which cauliflower you want to use, be it fresh cauliflower florets pulsed in a food processor, or pre-made fresh or frozen cauliflower rice. Use what works best for you!
You can of course omit the meats and prawns to create an egg fried rice instead, or add in some small diced vegetables to your liking.
Not a fan of cauliflower rice? Then just use cooked cooled basmati or brown wholegrain rice instead, but remember this significantly increases the carb content and so a small serving is best.
Special Fried Cauliflower Rice
- 400 grams cauliflower rice (or cooked cooled rice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil (optional, but gives great flavour)
- 0.5 cm fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 whole clove of garlic crushed
- 2 large eggs
- 4 whole spring onions diced (or a small white onion)
- 2 slices ham chopped
- 50 grams cooked chicken pieces
- 50 grams cooked prawns
- 50 grams frozen peas
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Heat the oils in a pan until hot, then add the ginger and garlic to cook for a minute
- Add the spring onion to soften
- Add the cauliflower rice, stir well to combine
- Crack in the eggs, allow them to heat and firm, then stir to break them up throughout the rice
- Add in the ham, chicken, prawns and peas, then stir
- Pour in the soy sauce, stir, taste and add more as needed
- Serve on it's own or with curry and/or salad