Smooth creamy but tangy vegan sour cream made from cashews, perfect for GD-food pairing! Use this plant-based vegan sour cream as a dip with chopped fresh chives, or use it to top Nachos, Chilli, Enchiladas, Fajitas, Mexican bean breakfast, or with curries like the Vegetable Jalfrezi.
The key to this recipe is soaking the cashews for as long as possible. The longer they soak, the softer they become and easier they are to blend to a lovely smooth creamy consistency. I soaked mine overnight for over 12 hours and they worked perfectly.
I buy my cashews from Aldi, £1.59 for 200g they are much more reasonably priced than in many stores.
- Food processor or high speed blender
- 150 grams cashew nuts plain, unsalted, covered and soaked in cold water
- 125 ml cold water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 good pinch salt
- Cover the cashew nuts in cold water, then leave to soak for AT LEAST 6 hours (I left mine soaking overnight for over 12 hours which results in really soft cashews which blend more easily)
- Drain the cashews and place in a food processor or high speed blender
- Add half the water, the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and blend until smooth. Add more water as necessary to create your desired consistency. Taste, season with salt and add more lemon or vinegar depending on your taste
Nutritional info. is based per serving unless stated otherwise and is only a guide. The nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients used