Colder days and coming up to Christmas we see many coffee shops offering gingerbread latte as a festive warming treat. But did you know you can make this at home using just a couple of cheap ingredients?
Here’s my sugar free gingerbread latte recipe which goes perfectly with my mini gingerbread cookies.
You can use whichever coffee you like for this; filtered, a coffee pod from a coffee machine, or even just plain old jarred instant coffee granules!
Be mindful that coffee contains caffeine. Current guidelines recommend no more than 200mg of caffeine per day to be consumed during pregnancy. You could of course use decaffeinated coffee.
How much caffeine?
The amount of caffeine found in some drinks is as follows:
- one mug of instant coffee: 100mg
- one mug of filter coffee: 140mg
- one mug of tea: 75mg
- one can of cola: 40mg
- one can of energy drink: up to 80mg
- 1 mug whole milk (or non dairy milk eg. almond, or coconut milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon plus extra for dusting on top
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- xylitol or erythritol sweetener optional
- cream optional
- Measure a mug of milk and pour into a saucepan (*or if in a hurry, microwave in the mug). Heat until just bubbling *if making in a mug in the microwave, use less than a mugful of milk, leaving room for the milk to rise when heating or you will end up with milk spilling everywhere!
- Add spices and vanilla into the milk and stir well
- Pour hot gingerbread milk into a mug and add coffee of choice (e.g. a shot of espresso, a good glug of strong filtered coffee, or instant coffee granules) and stir. Add sweetener if desired
- Top with Anchor Extra Thick squirty cream, whipped double cream or a glug of single or double pouring cream. Dust with a sprinkling of ground cinnamon